Scallops & Pan Sauce
Published on March 14, 2022
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 2 servings
Scallops with dirty beurre blanc? I know that’s not a real sauce but I keep calling it that for some reason 😫 anyway…serves 2 for appetizer or 1 for a meal!
Tip 1:I like to take a blow dryer or a fan on COOL and dry proteins on both sides to draw out moisture and get a nice hard sear. You can also achieve this by leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a couple hrs but then you gotta wait for proteins to be room temp…anyway, this is a little shortcut!
Tip 2: When buying scallops try to get ‘dry’ vs ‘wet’ because they will sear & taste better but also you won’t be getting scallops that have been injected with water.
- •6-8 U-10 Sea Scallops (that’s a weight measure, usually 10 scallops per lb).
- •2 shallots (chopped).
- •1/2 cup dry white wine.
- •2 tbsp white vinegar.
- •4 tbsp butter.
- •zest of 1 lemon.
- •3 tbsp capers (dry them really well with a paper towel).
- •chives to taste.
- •dill to taste.
- •olive oil.
•salt and pepper to taste.
- •1.- take your blow dryer to the room temperature scallops on cool, dry for 2 min per side.
- •2.- preheat your pan for a couple minutes on medium, add in olive oil and raise temperature to high. Once the oil is ‘shimmering’ add in your scallops, giving them a little shake immediately so they won’t stick. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Sear on high for 3 minutes. Flip them, lower the heat to medium and sear 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- •3.- on that same pan, lower heat to medium and add the shallots, 1 tbsp butter, the vinegar & the white wine. Reduce by half, about 4-5 min. Turn heat off and add in the rest of the butter.
- •4.- in some olive oil shallow fry your capers until crispy, about 3 min. Place over a paper towel to drain excess moisture.
- •5.- serve scallops with the sauce, lemon zest, chives, dill and capers.